CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, October 12, 2008

Just a Few Thoughts

1. Happy 5th Anniversary to me and Wade. It's hard to believe it's been 5 years, but what wonderful years they've been! Oddly enough, the weather yesterday was pretty much exactly the same as it was in 2003. This is crazy, but one of my favorite memories of that day was meeting up with my friends at that gas station after we left. You know you have great friends when people you hardly know wish they "had meemaws." (You'll have to ask Christy for that story, but for now suffice it to say that we're somewhat famous.) Wade and I were going to go to the mountains this weekend to celebrate but decided not to. I wasn't feeling 100% this weekend, so we just went out to eat instead. Even so, we had a nice anniversary just spending time together.

2. Hormones are the devil.

3. I'm sure most everyone knows we watch a lot of tv at our house. Well, I've been noticing a trend in commercials. I'm sure this trend has been around forever, but lately it's been getting on my nerves. It's the way advertising reinforces gender roles. For example, cleaning products of any kind are presented with a woman cleaning something. Even Mr. Clean is used by a woman. And if it's a commercial for meat (think bratts), it's a man grilling. I know that it is true that women still do most of the cleaning and that men are usually the ones who grill, but would it hurt for someone in advertising to change things up a bit? I for one feel like I might be more inclined to buy your product if my "gender role" wasn't being forced down my throat. OK, that's even soapbox speak for now.

4. I wish we could take a week long vacation from work whenever we feel like it. Maybe one week per season. I think I'd pick this week for fall.

3 comments:

Mandy Mc said...

Thanks for updating, Heather! If you want someone who expresses what you're feeling about the gender stereotypes in advertising (in a HILARIOUS way), check out the following link. There is a whole series by Sarah Haskins, "Target Women," dedicated to exposing the absurdity - ENJOY :-)

Target Women: Cleaning

Mandy Mc said...

Happy Anniversary too, of course!!!

Susan said...

Um... we're more than somewhat famous. ;)